In the Catholic list of commandments, the second commandment is left out. It is the one that states: "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth." (Exodus 20:4). To keep the list at ten, the last commandment, the one against covetousness, is split into two parts: "You shall not covet your neighbor's house" and "You shall not covet your neighbor's wife ..."
Why has the Catholic Church rewritten the Ten Commandments? I assume it is because they openly violate the one they have dropped by filling their churches with all kinds of idolatrous images to which their members direct their prayers.
This is just one of many examples that could be given of the Catholic Church playing games with God's Word despite the warning in Revelation 22:18-19 that if anyone adds or takes away from God's Word, "God shall take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city ..."
The Ten Commandments as given by God to Moses on Mt. Sinai:
- “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
- “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
- “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
- “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- “You shall not murder.
- “You shall not commit adultery.
- “You shall not steal.
- “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”
The Ten Commandments as changed by the Roman Catholic Church:
- I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain.
- Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not kill.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness.
- You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
- You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.